Friday, January 28, 2011

What would you do?

If you were free to do anything you liked – and all resources were available – what would you wish to do most?
That is a question on an application for a summer discipleship program I'm considering.  I haven't started the application yet, but I have thought quite a bit about that question.

To find the answer, go to this blog.  As I just read that post, I realized that is what I would wish to do most.  Can you imagine having an entire village call you Mommy (or Daddy)?  Wow.  A couple of my campers this summer often tried to call me Mommy even though I would tell them they needed to call me Ms. Katy.  One made me a little card that says "Miss Mom" and "Miss Mommy"  all over it.  Another clung to me and said, "Ms. Katy, wouldn't it be nice if we could be together forever?  I could go to college with you and you can adopt me and be my Mommy forever.  Can you do that?  You could be my Mommy forever."  Yes, Jada, I would absolutely LOVE to do that.  I would love to be your Mommy forever and ever.  I would love to show you the way a Mommy should love her daughter.  I wish that I could go down to Pittsburgh right now and bring you back to my apartment and I'd be your mommy forever.  Sadly, I can't.  Jada has a family.  Not a good one, but legally, she has one.  And I don't have the money to adopt her.  But if I were free to do anything I liked and had all of the resources necessary, nothing could stop me from skipping my next class and driving down to Pittsburgh right now and getting that beautiful little girl.  What would you do?  Seriously, what would you do?  I want to know. :)

Here's a picture of my Jadaboo and me right after she asked me to be her Mommy.  Thankfully, I was wearing sunglasses, so she couldn't see the tears...

3 comments:

  1. You are far nobler than I, Katy. I don't know what I'd do, but I'm pretty sure it would not be as Christlike as that. That's why your mom's so doggone proud of you. I am, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo diggety giggety,

    I would live in the middle of milwaukee wisconsin halfway between the 'burbs and the hood and work part time at a mattress store and the rest of the time hang out with my wife, some kids on the street and work at this really cool church.

    that's what i would do.

    I would probably open up a summer camp for urban children. That would be absolutely incredible. Beyond imagine. But not just urban kids, but that would be a primary focus of ours. One of our mission statements for sure. I think that is my ultimate dream.

    Your bro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brothy,

    I love that what you would do is what you're actually doing. well, plus some AWESOMENESS. obviously, I'm a big big fan of summer camps for urban kiddos. :)

    Love you bud. You're great. :)

    ReplyDelete